Global Notification

Notice! New Schedules are here!


Chapter 31: Reason for being a hero

"I see. So, it was you, Eva-san from the workshop, and her sister Emily-san who encountered the ogre here," Akam-san said, leading me as we conducted an on-site inspection in the Est Forest.

"At that time, there were goblins too, right?"

"Yes, there were three of them. Both the goblins and the ogre seemed to be hostile towards each other," I replied.

"The goblins probably felt their territory was being invaded... The problem lies in the mysterious behavior of the ogre," Akam-san remarked.

This ogre had been a topic of discussion within the guild as well. Firstly, ogres are not known to inhabit forests but rather underground areas. They are said to reside in caves in a rocky mountain even farther from the capital.

So, why was this lone ogre wandering in the forest? Experienced adventurers might have some insights, but it was difficult to discuss this matter in detail with the other party involved, Raul-san.

"However, there doesn't seem to be any abnormality in the forest. I don't sense any evil presence either,"

Akam-san commented, and he was right. Est Forest, visited after a long time, was incredibly peaceful. The weather was good, and sunlight filtered through the trees.

"I should have brought a packed lunch," Akam-san smiled kindly.

"You are a mysterious person, mage" El observed, gazing intently at Akam-san's smile.

"To be honest, for me, a fairy like El-san is the mysterious one," Akam-san replied, maintaining his smile as he looked back at El.

"Hmm, even when I watch you, I can't figure out what kind of person your are," El possesses the power to see through people, their levels, abilities, and even their skills. Surely, that's what El meant by those words.

"Ah, that might be because of the robe I'm wearing," Akam-san remarked.

"Is it because of that attire?"

Akam-san lightly spreaded his arms, emphasizing the loose-fitting robe. "This robe incorporates threads of magic silver. It seems to resist El-san's ability to sense magic power."

"Magic silver, you say? No wonder," El responded, showing great interest in the robe as Akam-san explained.

"What is magic silver?"

"Magic silver is literally silver infused with magical energy. There is a special silver ore called Starlight Silver that accumulates magical power, and when various magical powers are infused into it through metallurgy, it is called magic silver.

"We, the palace-affiliated mages, are provided with robes woven with refined threads of this magic silver."

I didn't ask about the price, as it would be impolite, but I'm sure it must be expensive. I didn't see any equipment made of magic silver at the armor shop I visited the other day.

"Well then, let's explore the forest a bit more, just to be sure."

"Yes."

I followed behind Akam-san as he started walking.

In this case, I wonder if I should take the lead. After all, I'm more suited for a frontline role. But surely, Akam-san, a palace-affiliated mage, must be stronger than me. I pondered.

However, there wasn't much time to dwell on it. From deep within the forest, I heard a familiar screeching sound.

"Ah, that's right. It's the season for Kakko nuts," Akam-san remarked.

The fruits of the Kakko tree are bitter and sour, unsuitable for human consumption. Supposedly, the oil extracted from the nuts can be used to make soap, but the quality isn't great, and it's not worth fighting Goblins over.

However, Goblins seem to become more aggressive during this season, expanding their territory. If we encounter them, there's a high chance of a battle.

Eventually, as I had worried, two Goblins appeared from the depths of the forest. Goblins may be short, but they possess intelligence. If the numbers are equal, Goblins usually retreat first.

It's two against two for us and the Goblins. However, upon seeing us, the Goblins readied their weapons. They were indeed becoming hostile. Judging by appearances, my body seemed sturdier, so I stepped forward in front of Akam-san.

"Hey, El. Can you somehow communicate to them that we don't have any hostile intentions?"

"I'll give it a try," El and the Goblins began their screeching exchange.

I don't know what kind of conversation they're having, but it doesn't seem to be going well. The Goblins continued to brandish their weapons and screeched fiercely.

"Ugh. I'm sorry, hero-sama. The negotiations have failed," El apologized, while the Goblins remained hostile.

"Well, it can't be helped. It's not El's fault," I consoled the dejected El and prepared my sword as well. Although I couldn't understand their words, battling against opponents with intelligence and culture still weighed on my conscience.

"Hehe."

Contrary to my tense state, a carefree laughter came from behind.

"Oops, sorry about that,"

I turned around to find Akam-san smiling. Despite being on the verge of a dangerous situation, he had a gentle face that didn't seem to belong to it.

"Kazuya-san, even against Goblins, you want to avoid fighting, don't you? Truly befitting of being called a hero. Oh, by the way, why does El-san refer to you as 'hero-sama'?"

Huh? Right now?

"Ah, um, sorry about that. It's often said that my lack of tension is my flaw," Akam-san noticed my perplexed expression and chuckled awkwardly.

"Well, let's do this," wearing a slightly serious expression, Akam-san raised his right arm gently. As unfamiliar words escaped from his throat, sparkling particles flew from his outstretched palm toward the Goblins.

"Gya?!"

"Ugiii!!"

The particles of light enveloped the Goblins but quickly dissipated.

The two Goblins looked puzzled, readjusted their weapons, and prepared for another attack. It must have been some kind of magic, but its effect was unclear. I tightened my grip on the sword once again.

"Ugii, gyaaagyaa!"

"Gyagyagya!"

However, the Goblins averted their gaze from me and started making a commotion, facing a different direction. They swung their weapons vigorously towards the sky. Even if I strained my eyes, I couldn't see anything there.

"Hehehe. It's an illusion magic," explained Akam-san.

Apparently, the Goblins were desperately fighting against illusory enemies that had been shown to them.

"Now is our chance. Let's move forward," Akam-san said and walked past the Goblins, heading deeper into the forest.

I hurriedly followed, but the Goblins paid no attention to us and continued their battle against something in the sky.

"By the time the magic wears off, they'll be exhausted and return to their lair," Akam-san remarked, flashing me a gentle smile.

"Thank you very much."

"Thank you? Did I do something to deserve gratitude?" Akam-san covered his mouth with his loosely spread sleeves and chuckled.

"You helped divert them without causing harm to the Goblins. Thank you for that."

Akam-san laughed softly and said, "Kazuya-san, you're truly an interesting person. Now, about the question from earlier…"

"Hero-sama is the hero because hero protects humans from the demon race! That's why he is the hero!"

"Protecting humans... yet you didn't seem to fight against the Goblin, a member of the demon race."

"That's what makes hero-sama amazing! Hero-sama is very kind!"

Akam-san laughed again, saying "Hehehe." Come to think of it, I was told that when I first arrived in this world.

I was called to participate as a hero on the human side in the ongoing power struggle between humans and demons. However, it's been a month since I came to this world, and I haven't sensed any signs of conflict with the demons.

Even the Goblins, who are said to be part of the demon race, seems to have reached a compromise by dividing their territories.

"Kazuya-san."

"Yes?"

Suddenly, Akam-san's tone became serious. Caught off guard by the sudden change, I felt a bit bewildered.

"Darkness is infiltrating the human world more than we imagine," Akam-san said.

"Huh?"

"At the moment, it hasn't escalated into a major upheaval, but the recent incident with the Ogre, and perhaps…"

"A-Akam-san?"

"Oops, I'm sorry."

In response to my voice, Akam-san's expression once again brightened into a smile. "Become stronger, Kazuya-san. The world surely needs someone like you."

"Uh..."

The world? What does that mean? The conversation was taking on a grander scale.

"By gaining strength, the scenery you see may change. You may be able to see things that were previously invisible," Akam-san continued.

"..."

"Of course, I'll also assist you in becoming stronger."

"Thank you for that."

"El-san, please guide Kazuya-san to become a splendid hero."

"Of course, that's what El'll do!" El puffed out her chest.

I wasn't sure how serious she was, but I didn't feel reluctant being relied upon. As I continued to walk behind Akam-san, I clenched my fist tightly.

Novel Notes

Join me on Patreon for early access to advance chapters and to support the translation of more amazing stories!
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/suzerain_sama

Tags: Read faloo novels; My Protect skill can take my life but it can also help me flirt and make love with cold beauties! Chapter 31: Reason for being a hero for free, Read My Protect skill can take my life but it can also help me flirt and make love with cold beauties! Chapter 31: Reason for being a hero fantasy Novels, Read popular Chapter 31: Reason for being a hero online, Latest Chapter 31: Reason for being a hero available here for read, My Protect skill can take my life but it can also help me flirt and make love with cold beauties! Chapter 31: Reason for being a hero chapter, high quality sub indo, My Protect skill can take my life but it can also help me flirt and make love with cold beauties! machine translated, novel updates, mtl, , Suzerain Novel Translations

You may like

Comment

Click to Show / Post Comments